Monday, August 1, 2011

Cookie Completion!

I am so proud of myself! I actually baked, decorated, and delivered two dozen cookies AND they weren’t too terrible looking!! My sis even called them “cute.” YES!!! Here’s the rest of the story…

After rolling out the dough (between parchment paper) I put all of it in the fridge overnight. This is tip #2 from ms.-baker-extraordinaire. It’s easiest to work with sugar cookie dough when it is cold. The best way to achieve this is to roll it out and THEN put it in the fridge. This hardens the dough and makes it easier to work with, PLUS you don’t need to use flour to keep it from sticking. Bonus for me as that means I won’t make more of a mess :)

I purchased a cookie cutter in the shape of a “1” earlier in the week, but it was kind of small and I felt like I was jipping the family. The sister suggested I make a square cookie and put the “1” on top of that. perfect! I used a index card (that I cut down to 3 x 3) to make my square. Now for the fun part. Most people would probably bake them separately and then “glue” the pieces together with frosting. Not me! I learned this nifty little trick from high school ceramics. If you score the cookies and add a dab of water where you want them to connect, they fuse together and become one cookie! Confused? Here’s my process:

 064
 Make notches on the cookies where you want them to be fused. In my case on the back of the “1” and the front of the square. Using your fingers, dab some water on top of the notches. They don’t need to be soaked- just a little wet.

063
Set the top cookie where the notches are. Press down lightly- you don’t want to squish it, just make sure they are connected.

That’s it! Just bake and…

068  TAH-DA!

After I made a dozen cookies I realized I did not have enough dough to complete my project. And as I was housesitting, I’d brought the exact amount of ingredients I needed with me. And they didn’t have flour or baking powder. Sigh. Back to the store and home again. Finally at about 8:30pm I had the last batch in the oven. I was wiped. Thank goodness for the Project Runway marathon!

072 last batches!

073 I made a smiley face with the leftover dough :)

At that point, I felt it was acceptable to take a break and go see Cars 2 with the boy. I absolutely LOVED Cars 1 so it’s safe to say that I went bonkers with the sequel. Like literally bouncing in my seat. clapping. gasping. it was ridiculous.

I’ll follow up with the decorating details!

No comments:

Post a Comment