Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

It’s New Year’s Eve!! Yay!

This is the first year I’ve spent the holiday by myself. My parents are out of town and most of my friends had previous plans or didn’t feel like going out (I didn’t either!) Some people might think it’s pathetic to spend NYE alone, but I don’t mind it. I get to watch a marathon of Harry Potter movies and eat my favorite foods. Tonight I made Jalapeno Popper Chicken (recipe review to come…I think). I also love the freedom to reflect on this past year and think about the year to come.

To be honest, I’m happy to see 2012 end. It was a rough year.

-Two children from my church’s congregation died.
-There were far too many tragedies in the public sphere, in particular the shootings in Aurora, CO and Newtown, CT.
-I broke up with my boyfriend of two years. I know that seems incredible petty after the first two items I listed, but that was still an unfortunate and hard part of my year.
-I’ve been unable to obtain a full time teaching position and have been subbing since I earned my credential (9 months so far).
-Sister’s flight got canceled and she wasn’t able to come home for my cousin’s wedding.
-There was a lot of drama in my family around the holidays and it makes me sad that it happened.

However, amidst all the awful stuff, there were several good things that did happen this year.
-The college group at church has been really awesome and I feel closer to a lot of the people there. I especially loved our retreat last year and am looking forward to our next one in 2013
-I had 7 interviews. Even though none of them turned into a job, I did get better as an interviewee and I know what to do for my next one.
-I started doing Zumba and I really love it. I even lost 10lbs while I was being consistent!
-Sister came home for spring break and Thanksgiving so I got to see her a lot this year PLUS my trip to OR for her graduation.
-My friends’ band, Saints in Rehab had three shows (and one next week). They are awesome and I love watching them rock out.
-My church family has grown really close, probably due to the tragedy we’ve endured, but I love them
-My cousin’s wedding in September was a really sweet reunion for my family and my mom & I had a really fun time on our road trip.
-I learned a lot about what it means to wait and even though it’s still hard, I’m trusting that God has a bigger plan for me than I could ever fathom.
-I “won” NaNoWriMo.
-Earned my TESOL certification and am currently in the process of applying as an ESL teacher in several countries!

So, in all honesty, 2012 wasn’t the worst year ever, but I’m ready for a new one. I’m ready for new adventures and I think all of my friends and family are ready for healing.

2 comments:

  1. Ok. You "won" NaNoWriMo?! How did you not tell me this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, out of all that...that's all you got? Just kidding.

      Everyone "wins" if you write 50k; that's all that means, that I finished the word count goal.

      Delete