Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I < 3 books...maybe a bit too much!

So I have a literary problem.

I am addicted to books.

No, seriously.

I am a member of two book clubs which ensures that I am always reading at least two books per month.

I don't have a lot of extra money so I have to get most of my books from the library. Occasionally I will splurge on a book I just can't wait for. So a few months ago I bought books 1 & 2 from the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy. The sad thing is I haven't opened either one yet!

Like I said, I'm in two book clubs so a lot of my reading has been devoted to book club books. Unfortunately, I've been underwhelmed by the past few selections. I'm a person who can blaze through a book in record time. It's one of my few skills that I picked up in college literature classes when I had to read a novel in a week. So when I struggle to get through a book, that's saying something.

Anyway, so I finally finished my last book club book and returned it to the library, only to check out two more books! A normal person would just return the book and focus on the ones they have, but I had to walk out with TWO. Okay, okay, one of them is for book club next month. And one, I just felt like reading. But I still have another book to read for book club PLUS my two other books I've been meaning to read for the past month.

Now I'm also guilty of reading several books at the same time. Normal people are usually confused and greatly concerned when I tell them this. They wonder how I could possible read more than one book at a time. How do you keep the stories straight? they ask of me. I don't have a good answer to this one; I just do!

I also have different books that I read at different times of the day. For example, I have my "before bed" book, and my "I got here too early, so I'm going to read in my car" book.

My final problem is that since most of my books are library books, they have due dates. Yes, I can renew, but I still end up reading them before I read any books I own. Which would be fine if I would read books I own before I check out new books. As I've already shown, that's not something I'm capable of.

Sigh, at least I'm willing to admit my problem!

Here's my current reading list:
Candle in the Darkness; Lynn Austin
Code Name Verity; Elizabeth Wein
Please Ignore Vera Dietz; A.S. King
Daughter of Smoke & Bone; Laini Taylor (I actually read this back in January  but I wanted to reread it before I tackled the sequel.)
Days of Blood & Starlight; Laini Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment