Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas DIY

As might be expected, about 90% of my Christmas gifts this year were homemade. I forged into some new mediums of sewing & mod podge. Furthermore, all my inspiration came directly from my pinterest boards.

My sister & cousin are both professional chefs. Although my cousin no longer works as a chef, he and my sister both have a particular attitude in the kitchen. Mostly they like to be creative, hate cookbooks, and make amazing food. When they were here at Thanksgiving, my cousin commented that cookbooks are “a waste of money.” His argument is that he can look at the ingredients, figure out where they are headed, and do it the way he wants to. I thought this was a ridiculous argument. I love my recipes and without their detailed instructions, well, I would eat a lot of Top Ramen.

But I realized that I have the same attitude towards craft & DIY projects! I look at the materials, skim through the instructions and make it the way I want to.

Today’s crafting review: DIY Kindle (or Nook) Cover.
This project was originally created as a laptop cover and could be easily adapted to any piece of technology that you would like covered and insulated. I chose to make a cover for my mom’s kindle.

My changes
The original design has a button strap closure, which is cute, but I wanted a zipper closure. I have basically zero experience sewing zippers so I did the sensible thing and searched youtube videos until I found one that demonstrated an easy way to put in a zipper.

I didn’t follow this tutorial to a T either! After sewing all layers to the zipper, she sews the exterior fabric together followed by the interior fabric. Then she turned them inside out, pushing the lining into the printed fabric.

I, however, chose to sew my lining fabric to the exterior fabric (making one large rectangle).
093095

Then I put the right sides together and sewed around three sides (excluding the zipper side) and then turned it right side out.
097
Like my peppermint pj's?
 I may have been working on this on Christmas Eve...












Final Project

I really love my final project! My parents & I love wine tasting so it was easy to pick out my fabric options (a yellow background with bunches of grapes and varietals printed on it.)
1216121708

And here is my completed kindle cover!
102103

The best part was mom’s reaction: she loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment