Friday, August 31, 2012

SYTYCD: Top 8 Perform; 2 Eliminated


Overall thoughts: Remember a few weeks ago when I said my posts would get shorter once dancers started to be eliminated? Yeah, I forgot how they still fill the same amount of time by just making everyone dance more. So tonight everyone is performing twice: one solo and once with an all-star. I’m kind of awful at critiquing solos so I’ll probably just say that I loved it. Or I’ll start talking about that dancer’s “story.” Also can we just take a moment and say how awesome Jesse Tyler Ferguson is? He is the best guest judge. He actually knows what he’s talking about and just loves on the dancers. And to quote him, “how insane were the performances tonight??” Seriously, this is one of the best shows of the season. Let’s get to it!
Guest judge: Jesse Tyler Ferguson!!

Opening Performance: This was a bit odd to me. I didn’t quite “get it.” It also seemed unrehearsed to me—I saw a lot of mistakes that I don’t think the top eight should make and the moments of synchronization weren’t together.

Solo #1: Tiffany (jazz)
This was a very sweet number. She talked about how her sister is what inspired her to dance and you can tell that this is just a dream come true for her.

 Pairing #1: Witney (ballroom) + tWitch (season 4)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip-Hop
Judges thoughts: They talked about how they have saved her multiple times but she keeps turning out brilliant dances. They loved it and they didn’t use the phrase “you’re a star!” Thank goodness.
My thoughts: Right, so ballroom girl doing hip-hop sounds like a recipe for a disaster. And last week (okay, yesterday) I kind of complained about Witney. Ya’ll she killed it. I have no idea how. I can’t believe how good she was at this routine. My notes mostly consist of : what is happening right now? And lots of weird squiggles. Great way to start the show!

Solo #2: Will (contemporary)
Aw Will! Such a sweet story before his solo. He talk about he was the class clown and couldn’t focus in school so his mom put him in dance and he says that it saved his life. I love that.
His solo seemed very clean and controlled and his legs just keep going. I just love him.

Paring # 2:  Cole (martial arts fusion) + Allison (season
Dance Style Chosen: Contemporary
Judges thoughts: Jesse was over the top for this one. He kept calling it insane and demonic and it was almost like “American Horror Story.” Mary & Nigel also echoed how crazy and disturbing this routine was. It’s memorable and dramatic.
My thoughts: This was SUCH a creepy performance. Like skin crawling creepy. Allison is a fantastic artist when she dances and so is Cole. They went so deep into their character. The lifts were insane. His face was disturbing. It bothered me to watch it, but I couldn’t stop! Again, where does this come from??

Solo #3: Lindsay (ballroom)
Her family is so cute and they all dance together at her mom’s studio. Her solo seemed very sharp and strong.

Paring #3: Eliana (ballet) + Ryan (season 6)
Dance Style Chosen: Quickstep
Judges thoughts: Mary was happy to praise her for her frame and called her spectacular. They she was extraordinary and fantastic. They also commented on her range of emotion as performer and that she has incredible versatility.
My thoughts: I’m not very good at critiquing ballroom and more likely to call something nachos like Jesse did, but I can say that Eliana has beautiful lines and she seemed so strong in this dance. I don’t think she was struggling at all and I loved that lift they did at the end. She is such a confidant performer.

Solo #4: Chehon (ballet)
I fell in love with Chehon right here. He talked about how he left at 14 to go to ballet school. You can just tell how important his family is to him and that all he wants is to make his parents proud. His solo was so good—I honestly didn’t want it to end! His emotion at the end just killed me. His mother was there last night and you just know he was dancing for her. So sweet. The judges gave him a standing ovation and he absolutely deserved it.
Adopted joined royal ballet school at 14 wants to make parents proud

Paring #4 : Lindsay (ballroom)+ Alex (season 7)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts: They said she is a tremendous dancer and there was incredible intensity and clarity in her movement. But they felt she was missing that extra element. They wanted her to let go and have more of an emotional connection.
My thoughts: Ugh, this song is so overplayed, but I love this opening. The entire dance was very jarring and again a huge shock considering that she is ballroom. I think she is a brilliant dancer.
Solo #5: Witney (ballroom)
There is just something about her tonight—she is performing better than I’ve ever seen her. This was a fantastic solo.

Paring #5 :  Will (contemporary) + Lauren (season 3)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip Hop
Judges thoughts: They loved him. They talked about how articulate and precise his dancing was. I also loved how Jesse talked about the importance of the arts in schools. I 100% agree with that.
My thoughts: What a perfect routine for him to do tonight. I love seeing his serious side. But I wanted more. I wanted to see him kind of lose it while he was performing. I still love him though.

Solo #6: Cole (martial arts fusion)
His parents put him in martial arts and that gave him confidence. He started dancing because he wanted to be an actor and from that he created his own dance style. I love it. I think he has such a strong and unique level of performance. His solo was incredible.

Paring #6 : Cyrus (animator) + Melanie (season 8)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts:  I love what the judges had to say about Cyrus. They talked about his charisma and uniqueness. They also said that he is rising to everyone else’s level and learning everyone else’s techniques but no one can do what he does.
My thoughts: This was another pairing that I squealed for. I love Melanie. She is such an amazing dancer and performer. I’m not a huge fan of jazz and this routine didn’t really do it for me, but it was still really fun and my favorite part was watching Cyrus. He just has fun. He doesn’t let the pressures of competition get to him and I love that.

Solo #7: Eliana (ballet)
She is such a beautiful dancer. I felt like she was in another world while she was performing.

Paring # 7:  Chehon (ballet) + Anya (season 3)
Dance Style Chosen: Tango
Judges thoughts: They gave him a standing ovation. It was a different style of tango, but they loved it: “brilliant, monumental stillness, amazing, and favorite number of the night.” Jesse put him on the hot jalapeƱo bus.
My thoughts: Mmm what a strong opening. Just an incredible performance. There aren’t really words to describe. This is one of those routines you search for on youtube the next day. Kat said it best—you could have heard a pin drop in the audience. We were all spellbound watching him. And I love that his mother got to witness that.  

Solo # 8: Cyrus (animator)
His parents separated when he was young and then his dad passed away. His mom has been his rock.
Honestly, nobody can do what he can do and I love him for that. I also really loved that he only used the very front of the stage.

Paring # 8: Tiffany (jazz) + Ade (season 5)
Dance Style Chosen: Contemporary
Judges thoughts: They gave her a standing ovation. They said it was her best performance of the season and that she was effortless and fantastic.
My thoughts: This was such a beautiful routine. Tiffany’s lines are killer. I honestly haven’t liked her until this point but there was something about her performance that I just loved. The lifts were insane—she was flying all over the place.


Elimination
I would seriously not want to be a judge tonight. Everyone was so fantastic. I don’t blame Jesse for wanting to leave!


Bottom two girls: Witney & Lindsay
Bottom two guys: Will & Cole

Not an easy decision for sure! The judges chose to save Witney & Cole. I’m okay with that although I love Will & Lindsay and I’m sad to see them go.

Season 9: Top 6

No comments:

Post a Comment