Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SYTYCD: Top 10 Perform; 2 Eliminated


Wowzers this is a delayed post!! Apparently my summer has also been all about being busy on Wednesday nights. My latest excuse is actually a legit one (IMO). I had a job interview in a city 250 miles from my house and the place I was staying didn’t have T.V. (which was actually really nice to be honest. I really should shut down my electronics more often). Anyway, and then after I got back I was busy with life and well Monday is the first day I was able to sit down to watch and review the show.

Overall thoughts: ALL-STARS are back!!! I forgot to mention last week that it was finally announced that All-Stars were to be a part of this seasons show. I love the all-stars for two reasons. 1) It allows you to focus on the competing dancer instead of comparing/paying attention to two at the same time. 2) There are some dancers that are brilliant and I just want to watch them again and again (like Alex Wong for example.) Plus the all-star dancers aren’t competing and I think they dance better because of it. On to the show!

Guest judge: Benjamin Millepied

CUT!
 Opening Performance: A tribute to Gene Kelly who would have been 100 last Thursday. This was a fun routine; I liked it a lot especially with all the different characters intermixed into the routine. Maybe it’s just because I haven’t watched the show in awhile, but I had a hard time separating who was who. When they perform as a group, for me, it’s like watching a professional dance group. I also love that I’m starting to forget their signature dance styles as they are becoming stronger performers. 
Her lines are amazing!
 Pairing #1: Tiffany (jazz) + Brandon (Season 5)
Dance Style Chosen: Disco
Judges thoughts: They called it sensational, tremendous, and a party on the floor. They complimented both of them on the lifts: Brandon for lifting her and Tiffany for holding her weight properly. They also had really good connection and a good level of energy throughout the routine.
My thoughts: So sparkly! There wasn’t a light not turned on during that routine. I’m not a huge fan of disco and it seems a little out of place in this competition but that aside, it was a fun routine. I think the judges talked it up a bit though. Tiffany was a little shaky at the start and struggled for a bit to find her groove but once she did, she nailed it. The lifts were all very strong and loved the timing of the cartwheel. I think I would have been way to dizzy to dance after he spun her around like that! I think they really enjoyed themselves which is what they should do!

I wore that dress for a high school performance.
Paring # 2: Witney (ballroom) + Nick (Season 1)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts: They thought it was excellent and that Witney was totally committed to the routine. Both Mary and Nigel both repeated that  she’s a star and Mary called her smoldering.  
My thoughts: I was really intrigued when I first heard Travis Wall explain the story of ghosts returning to dance even though no one was watching. I think they had very strong lines and a strong performance. However, Witney didn’t really sell it to me as “sexy.” I think she was a bit immature in her performance.  I wanted to feel like they were intruding upon the space and were lost in each other instead of performing to the audience. Also, I think the judges are showing favoritism in some of their critiques—especially towards Witney.

Keep Calm and Cha-Cha On
Paring #3: Cole (martial arts fusion) + Anya (Season 3)
Dance Style Chosen: Cha-Cha
Judges thoughts: They said it was clean but that the chemistry and connection was not there.
My thoughts:  Whatever judges! I loved it. Cole can swivel those hips just fine in my opinion. I also thought that he and Anya had a hot connection with each other and the audience. And that ending was fantastic. However, I’m worried that Cole may be in danger next week.

Me and My Shadow

Paring #4 : Lindsay (ballroom)+ Jacob (Season 6)
Dance Style Chosen: Broadway
Judges thoughts: They said that it was magnificent and even though Lindsay still has a lot to learn, Mary put her on the hot tamale train.
My thoughts: Mmmm, when Tyce started to explain the concept to this routine, it freaked me out a bit. Synchronization is difficult to begin and not being able to see each other makes it that much more difficult. However, challenges aside, they nailed it and I loved the play with shadows. I think it was a really neat idea and that their performance was very strong and sharp.  

It was THIS big!
Paring #5 : Will (contemporary)+ Kathryn (Season 6)
Dance Style Chosen: Bollywood
Judges thoughts: They said that Will has great energy and a really strong personality which he took advantage of during this performance. Even though Nigel said he should calm down, he also realized that then Will wouldn’t be Will!
 My thoughts: So, I feel the same way about Bollywood that I do about Disco. But I still think it’s an incredibly fun genre. I think all of the squats just emphasized how tall Will is which could have made it difficult to hop up and down like he was. Well, he didn’t seem to struggle with that at all. I think he and Kathryn had good chemistry and I enjoyed watching, but it wasn’t one of those overly memorable performances. He may be in danger next week which would be sad since he’s one of my favorites.

It's the end of the world as we know it...

Paring #6 : Cyrus (animator) + Jaimie (Season 3)
Dance Style Chosen: Contemporary
Judges thoughts: They said he has a raw energy and passion that is just wonderful to watch. They did admit that he doesn’t have the same level of technique as the people who are classically trained but he makes people feel something and that is what dance is about. Nigel also revealed that they received letters complaining about the choice to include Cyrus in the competition (which is just awful) and Nigel defended the judges choice and basically said that Cyrus deserves to be here. He said there are dancers who want to dance and dancers who have to dance and that Cyrus belongs in the later group. It was  really neat moment in my opinion.
My thoughts:
The idea behind this performance was “life after destruction” and they are the only two people left. I love the design concept. I think it’s very intriguing. I agree, Cyrus doesn’t have the extension like the other dancers do but when I’m watching him perform, I don’t really care. His passion when he dances and the story he tells is what matters to me. I thought the chemistry was very believable and that ending was chilling. The judges are probably talking him up but whatever, he’s awesome!



Paring # 7: Chehon (ballet) + Lauren (Season 3)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip-Hop
Judges thoughts: They recognized that as a classically trained ballet dancer, hip hop is one of the most difficult styles to achieve. They commented that he needs to just release and give into the music. For them, he was going in and out of the style, but they could tell he was having fun and as a dancer he has accomplished so much.
My thoughts: I agree, he wasn’t as hard and down to the floor as he could have been. You could tell he was a ballet dancer doing hip hop. The chemistry was good and they had fun but it wasn’t a successful performance in my opinion.


Paring # 8: George (contemporary) + Allison (Season 2)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts: They said he had good technique and that he attacked each step with a vengeance. However, they didn’t believe the character and it seemed like he was just doing the dance steps.
My thoughts: When it comes to props, dancers and choreographers have to be smart. Use them to enhance the performance, but don’t let it distract from it. I wanted them to lose the baton half-way through the routine. I think it would have been a stronger routine and built up the chemistry better if they had dropped it. Even still I thought it was very well executed and that they matched each other in ability. I stopped thinking about who was the all-star and just watched them dance. 
Perfection 
Paring # 9: Eliana (ballet) + Alex (Season 7)
Dance Style Chosen: Ballet
Judges thoughts: They gave it a standing ovation. Nigel claimed that Eliana is his favorite girl. There is perfection in her technique. She took their breath away and the performance was full of layers.
My thoughts: I wish you could have heard my squeal when I heard Kat announce this pairing. I LOVE Alex—I was so bummed when he injured himself in season 7. He is amazing. And just knowing how great Eliana is, there is nothing that could go wrong with this routine. I’m so glad they didn’t disappoint. It was an odd soundtrack choice and had very little music to dictate the movement which I actually loved because it forced them to rely on each other to tell the story. They had to have a strong connection to make it work, which they did. I, like Nigel, was disappointed it was so short. I just wanted them to keep dancing. The lighting bothered me too. It was too harsh and made it difficult to really see them. I think it would have been even more amazing to see it live.

This coffin ain't big enough for the two of us.
Paring # 10: Audrey (jazz) + tWitch (Season 4)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip-Hop
Judges thoughts: They said she held her own and that she was entertaining but they wanted more. They told her not be afraid to out-dance him and to absolutely crazy with the character.
My thoughts: I felt bad that she got paired with tWitch because he is an absolutely brilliant dancer and he would be difficult for anyone to partner. I think there was supposed to be a “love/hate” relationship explored through the performance, but I didn’t really feel that. I did think it was the right level of creepy without slipping into the vampire cliché. I also think that Audrey danced well and held her own in the performance. It was absolutely a memorable piece. 



Elimination


Bottom two girls: Witney + Audrey
Bottom two guys: Chehon + George

Well, I think Audrey is a stronger dancer than Witney and that her performance tonight was better. Between the boys I feel that George had a stronger performance than Chehon.

I don’t think the solos particularly changed anything but apparently the judges completely disagree with me because they save Witney & Chehon (again).

We had to say goodbye Audrey and George :( Tonight the top eight perform. And I plan to actually watch the episode tonight and get my blog post up early tomorrow so I can get started all my other ideas :)

Top Eight

No comments:

Post a Comment