Friday, July 27, 2012

SYTYCD: Top 16 Perform, Second Elimination


So normally I sit down to watch the show on Wednesday nights as soon I as I get home, but since that was 1:00am this week, I decided to delay my viewing until Thursday afternoon. Luckily I managed to watch it before SYTCD updated their cover photo on facebook. Spoilers are not my favorite. Again, I will reveal the bottom 3/eliminated dancers at the end of the post.

Overall thoughts: There were some phenomenal moments on the show tonight, however it felt like a lot of couples had some low performances tonight :(
Still not sure if I like the new format for dance selection, but we’ll have to go with it. 

Opening Performance: This was a cute number—I liked the “black & white movie” feel to it. It also reminded me of Amelia’s audition, so I’m sure she loved it. The pop of the red umbrella was really fun but I would have liked it if they had brought in more pops of color throughout the routine.

Pairing #1: Tiffany (jazz) + George (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip Hop
Judges thoughts: They thought it was a great & fun way to open up the show and that it was a very fun and entertaining routine. I believe Christina requested it be “soupier”—whatever that means.
My thoughts: I loved the kooky props, or as Mary said, “Dr. Seuss set.” Any parent or babysitter could probably relate to that feeling of the baby that never stops crying. I don’t advise breaking into a hip hop routine when this happens. It was a fun & strong routine, but it didn’t make me fall in love with either of them.

Paring # 2: Amber (contemporary) + Brandon (stepping)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts: They were impressed with this routine and Nigel claimed it to be “baby making choreography.” Cat likened it to the breakfast table routine performed by Sandra & Twitch last season. It was a very sultry and soulful routine.
My thoughts: It was a very sexy number and as Christina put it, it almost felt too private for us to be watching.  They had very good chemistry and this was a strong performance.

Paring #3: Janelle (bellydancing) + Dareian (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Cha-Chat
Judges thoughts: Mary said they had some phenomenal tricks but the chemistry wasn’t there and their feet weren’t good. Nigel & Christina echoed those thoughts.
My thoughts: First of all, “Call Me Maybe” is SO overplayed, I don’t think it was a wise choice. It’s kind of a juvenile song and didn’t fit the performance well. I don’t mind when popular songs are used, but it should be popular songs that have something to say. This song is just a catchy beat, but not really a soulful song. That being said, it was a fun routine, but it did feel like they were over thinking the moves and not getting into the routine. I also think, they don’t have the best chemistry as a partnership.

Paring #4 : Lindsay (ballroom) + Cole (martial arts fusion)  
Dance Style Chosen: Contemporary
Judges thoughts: They thought the routine was beautiful and magnificent. They also commented on the use of lighting to really emphasize the themes of dark and light.
My thoughts: I really wanted to love this routine. I already love these two and the concept sounded so amazing. I thought the lighting was a beautiful addition. But, I just couldn’t get into it. I didn’t like that Lindsay’s hair was in her face. It made her seem weak—as though she were hiding. I also wanted her to fight Cole more. I wanted to see the struggle and the tension but also light beating dark.  The story behind the routine seemed to be about how there will always be people that try to pull you down, but the beauty of the human spirit is the ability to rise above and push that away. I don’t think the routine showed Lindsay accomplishing that. After hearing the judges’ comments, it made me want to re-watch it and see if my opinion changes.        

Paring #5 : Amelia (contemporary) + Will (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts: They weren’t overly impressed with the routine. Although they are fantastic dancers, the connection didn’t seem to be there and it wasn’t their best.
My thoughts: This routine made me the saddest. I want to love them every time they go out, but this routine was just weird. The story was odd and the choreography seemed jerky, if that’s a word. I couldn’t get into it. I hope this routine doesn’t hurt them for next week.

Paring #6 : Audrey (jazz) + Matthew (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Salsa
Judges thoughts: Although they are a favorite couple, they seemed uncomfortable and slow. There wasn’t enough going on in the routine.
My thoughts: I know very little about ballroom, so I’m not the best judge on technique but I thought this was a fun routine. I thought they looked like they were having fun even though they were so out of their genre.

Paring # 7: Witney (ballroom) & Chehon (ballet)
Dance Style Chosen: 
Judges thoughts: They gave this a standing ovation. Mary and Christina were both speechless and on edge of tears. Nigel called it flawless.
My thoughts: WOW. This routine was indescribable. I know that I expressed doubt last week after the judges saved them, but what a way to prove that the judges made the right decision!! I was moved by their grace and the moments of stillness. They weren’t rushing through the routine or focusing on getting all the steps. They connected with the story and let the dancing follow. Witney showed a level of maturity I haven’t seen from her yet and Chehon was so strong and there for her for the entire routine. I loved it.

Paring # 8:  Eliana (ballet) + Cyrus (animator)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip Hop
Judges thoughts: Another standing ovation! They thought it was “fabulous,” “crazy,” “sick,” and a “privilege to watch.”
My thoughts: Oh this was a clever idea! I loved how they played to both of their strengths. They are both brilliant dancers and their connection was beautiful. I thought it was dark and grungy and just really well done. They are another favorite couple of mine.



Elimination



Bottom three girls: Amber, Lindsay, Eliana
Bottom three guys: George, Brandon, Dareian

This was a hard elimination—especially for the females. I wanted them all to stay but if I had to pick I would save Eliana & Lindsay. As for the boys, I mostly wanted Brandon to stay but I’m not overly concerned for the other two.

I sort of got what I wanted. The judges did save Eliana & Lindsay which meant that Amber was eliminated this week.
They also saved George & Dareian which meant that Brandon was sent home. :(
However, I thought he handled it well and was very mature. I still wish they would have given him another chance!


Since I got home about 1:00am on Wednesday, I missed out on the voting—oops! I guess I’ll just be voting every other week, lol. 

Actually they are taking two weeks off for the Olympics. Woo!! I’m really excited for the Olympics. I can’t wait to watch the opening ceremonies tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment