Friday, July 20, 2012

SYTYCD: Top 20 Perform, Part 2


Overall thoughts: I was a bit underwhelmed with this episode. Last week, I kept saying THIS is my favorite performance. And then the next couple would get up there and I would change my mind. I had so many favorites last week, I couldn’t decide who to vote for! (And I kind of forgot they close the voting after the show, so I missed it and never voted. Oops!) This week, a few were really well done, but a lot of them just fell flat.

**In the interest of being spoiler-ish free, I won’t reveal the eliminated dancers until the end of my post. Although if you follow SYTYCD on facebook, they already took care of that for you.

Also, edit to add: There was a change made to the dance selection format. Each week the couples draw a number and that number determines in what order they select their dance style. Sort of like a white elephant gift exchange except no one gets to steal. (side note—I don’t like white elephant games. No matter what you do, someone has to show off and get a super nice gift which defeats the purpose. Nine times out of ten you end up with dead batteries or a used crossword puzzle book. Why try to give away something useless when all you get is…something useless? There are better party games out there.) Anyway, so just like my opinions on the Christmas game, I’m not a fan of this new format. I don’t think that’s fair because if you draw a low number every week, then you will always get a style you feel comfortable in. If you always have a high number then chances are you will SOL every week. Dislike. But I digress, on to the show!

Opening Performance: So much more exciting than last week! It was kind of creepy and sideshow freak feeling. But more dancing! Contrasting costumes! I like this!
Beautiful people...rawr!
Pairing #1: Lindsay (ballroom) + Cole (martial arts fusion)  
 Dance Style Chosen: Hip Hop
Judges thoughts: They thought it was a fun routine and were very impressed with Cole’s commitment to the character. They felt that Lindsey didn’t invest enough with the characterization but she did a good job dancing.
My thoughts: I agree this was a fun routine. Cole was cracking me up with his voice imitations. I think Lindsay did a fine job and she’s starting to become a favorite for me.
Have you been flossing?
Paring # 2: Amelia (contemporary) + Will (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Contemporary
Judges thoughts: They loved it and loved how they immersed themselves in the routine. They also showed good trust of their partner. And it was a good contrast to the quirky performance they did last week.
My thoughts: obviously I already love them and I also loved them. They did some really intricate and difficult choreography and it was just beautiful to me.
Tag--you're it!
 Paring #3: Amber (contemporary) + Nick (ballroom)
Dance Style Chosen: Argentine Tango
Judges thoughts: A very difficult and demanding routine that they made look easy.
My thoughts: Very well done! It was smoking hot and danced well. I liked this one a lot.

Paring #4 : Audrey (jazz) + Matthew (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Jazz
Judges thoughts: They really liked this routine. Adam commented that Audrey has wiped all doubt from his mind.
My thoughts: Loved this routine. It was very intense and well done. This was the routine that changed my mind about Audrey. I was already in love with Matthew, now they both get my praise!
It's a bird, it's a plane...!
Paring #5 : Janelle (bellydancing) + Dareian (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Hip Hop
Judges thoughts: Thought it was very sweet and adorable but Nigel said that it was beneath them in technique and that they could do more.
My thoughts: This was a very cute routine that made me go awww—especially when they kissed! But Nigel is right, it wasn’t overly memorable.
Hey baby, I think I wanna marry you
Paring #6 : Janaya (contemporary) + Brandon (stepping)
Dance Style Chosen: Broadway
Judges thoughts: They were impressed and thought that they attacked the characterization. It was very entertaining.
My thoughts: This was one I really liked! I love Janaya and thought she killed it with this one. Brandon was also very strong in this routine. Funny story—I was laughing to myself that the book she’s probably reading is 50 Shades of Grey and then as they were running off stage, Kat called out to her to get back to that book. It made me giggle.
Despite the girly cover, this is obviously an intellectual read.
Paring # 7: Eliana (ballet) + Cyrus (animator)
Dance Style Chosen: Jive
Judges thoughts: They enjoyed it and said that Eliana is a brilliant dancer. They noted that Cyrus was struggling with the routine but he was still there for her and still having a good time with the choreography.
My thoughts: I felt that they were both struggling with the choreography even thought Eliana is a brilliant dancer. I don’t think she did a very good job with this one. I agree that Cyrus struggled as well but he put his whole heart out there and had a blast performing. I don’t think he’s going to win it, but he’s definitely going to go out fighting.

Paring # 8:  Alexa (contemporary) + Daniel (ballet)
Dance Style Chosen: Contemporary
Judges thoughts: They thought it was a beautiful and well executed routine but that they weren’t connecting with each other or the audience.
My thoughts:  I agree it was a very beautiful routine—they seemed connected to me, but the whole bathtub concept was just odd.
Should have checked behind the shower curtain
Paring # 9 : Tiffany (jazz) & George (contemporary)
Dance Style Chosen: Foxtrot
Judges thoughts: Thought it was incredible and that they nailed the steps.
My thoughts: eh, it seemed good to me—like it was a well done routine but didn’t get me jumping out of my seat for them. Maybe it’s just because ballroom isn’t my thing, but I’m also not super in love with either dancer.

Paring # 10: Witney (ballroom) & Chehon (ballet)
Dance Style Chosen: Bollywood
Judges thoughts: They loved it—thought it was a very fun routine and they did a good job getting into it.
My thoughts: It was a fun routine and it seemed like they were connecting well as a partnership.
See! My hand is bigger.

Elimination
Now for the sad part of the night :(

Bottom three girls: Janaya, Alexa, & Witney
Bottom three guys: Nick, Daniel, & Chehon

I don’t want ANY of them to go! But if I had my choice, I would save Janaya and Nick. I think that Nick has been incredible consistent and I love Janaya.

And then the judges broke my heart and saved Witney & Chehon. Both are great dancers but neither are my favorite from the bottom three. I think the judges are unfairly biased towards Witney. Sorry, she’s a sweet girl and a good dancer, but she just hasn’t stolen my heart.

My favorites: (aka who did I vote for)
I vote online which means I get 50 votes which I then divvied up amongst the following: Amelia, Audrey, Brandon, Cyrus, Matthew, Will. I hope they all make it through next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment