Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Confession time: I hate planning my birthday party.

I know, what’s wrong with me? Is that supposed to be the easiest and bestest** party to plan? Maybe for some people, but I find that birthday’s come with a myriad of confusing emotions.

There are several ways to approach one’s birthday.
  1. Appreciate the fact that it’s the one day of the year that you can basically make people love you and not feel bad about it. Be the center of attention. Let people sing to you and make you cakes and give you gifts. Make outlandish decisions about activities for the day (“Let’s all go skydiving!! It’s my birthday!!”) Everyone has to do what you said BECAUSE it’s your birthday. It’s like being the queen of a small country and the country is your social group.  I think this is the best way to approach your day until you are about 7 and then you may come across as selfish. At some point you have to realize that they are actual countries bigger than your social group that are starving and maybe it shouldn’t be all about you? I hope I didn’t seriously harm someone’s birthday perspective. I’ve probably just watched too much of MTV’s “My Sweet Sixteen.” I think it’s perfectly fine to enjoy attention on your birthday but I know that I can't live this to its fullest because then I feel selfish.
  2. Pretend like you don’t care that it’s your birthday. Don’t have a party. Don’t even mention that it is your birthday. Go to work. Act like it’s a normal day. And then don’t be upset when no one wishes you a happy birthday. I think this is the hardest attitude to pull off. How does one NOT care about your birthday? Our culture tells you it’s the greatest day of the year (see MTV comment above). I understand not wanting to be the center of attention but don’t try to make everyone believe that you don’t care.
  3. Bemoan the fact that you are another year older. This is another popular attitude in our culture. Everyone is dying and no one can stand being older than 25. I’m totally guilty of this and get mad when the cashier doesn’t bother to card me when I buy a bottle of wine at 10am on a Wednesday, but still at some point this attitude get’s annoying. Everyone is aging and no one control it, so why complain about it? It’s like getting irritated that the sun is setting. Also there are plenty of people who DON’T make it to their next birthday. Walk the kids cancer ward at your local hospital and you will be immensely grateful  for every gray hair and wrinkle on your body.
Ugh, so how do I approach my birthday? The kid in me loves the attention. The adult in me is trying to be pragmatic. 

Here's what I've done in the past:

1-18-- actual parties
19 & 20-- don't remember. I was on Corona so I was probably in Vegas for a competition or at rehearsal.
21-- coffee w/ sister + best friend. followed by bible study @ church
22-- group of friends got take out @ pick up stix
23-- actual party
24-- best friend was in town for a funeral. went to game night at a friends house (not related to my birthday)
25-- ??

I think I will either go out to a favorite restaurant (yet to be determined) with the people who responded yes to my text or invite those same people over to my house and have a nice night in.

Either way I'm sure it will be a great weekend. And next year, someone else can plan my party :D

**this is not a real word

No comments:

Post a Comment